Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Who is Jesus #19 (Bread Cont.)

Hunger drives me to eat. If I am hungry and can't eat, it frustrates me and makes me uncomfortable, irritable, and unhappy. I have been told that if a person goes without food long enough that the hunger pains go away. Your body tries to sustain itself from its internal resources. I don't like to feel hungry. If I am, I try to satisfy the hunger as soon as possible. I hunger for nourishment.
The bread of life is available to satisfy my deepest inner spiritual hunger.
What did Jesus have in mind when he said, "You're blessed when you have worked up a good appetite for God. He's food and drink in the best meal you'll ever eat." (Matthew 5:6 The Message)? There is a hunger that is built into our makeup - our very being. It is a hunger and thirst for God. It is a hunger that only God can satisfy. It is a good hunger. It is a hunger that keeps us looking and moving in the right direction. It is also a hunger that, if continually ignored, will go away. The godly prodding will cease. Then where will we find nourishment? "...hunger and thirst after righteousness" and you will be filled!

Be Strong and Courageous,

L.T.

No comments: