Thursday, February 10, 2005

Who is Jesus #11 (Bread)

Surely everything that could be said about Jesus as Immanuel has not been said, but now bread is on my mind. Bread - a basic food. However, it is something I cannot eat at this time because I am doing the Atkins thing. I miss bread - especially hot dinner rolls. I am getting used to eating "bunless" hamburgers.
Jesus, in John 6, claims to be bread from heaven (41), the bread of life (35), the bread of God (33) and living bread (51).
I want to do some thinking about bread - not dinner rolls, hamburger buns or cornbread (all of which I love) but I want to explore all of the aspects of Jesus being "bread" in upcoming blogs.
Bread for the Jews was a staple. It was a part of every meal and at times it may have been the meal. Among the poor, daily bread was just that - daily. The man of the house would earn money enough to buy bread for the next day.
Bread meant sustenance. If there was no bread it meant there was no means to get it.
Are there other ways these jews might relate to Jesus' teachings on the "Bread of life?" How does it relate to us?
It will be worth exploring.

Be Strong and Courageous,

L.T.

No comments: