Thursday, May 12, 2005

Who is Jesus? #56 (Forgiver Cont.)

So, what if I sin and know good and well what I am doing? How can Jesus forgive out and out rebellion? How can He forgive me when I, in essence, am shaking my fist in His face and saying, "you're not big enough to make me stop."
I have done that. How can Jesus forgive that?
I am glad we have the example of Peter. The angel addresses the women at the empty tomb and says,"...He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid Him. But go, tell His disciples and Peter,....." (Mark 16:6-7).
Peter is specifically mentioned. None of the other disciples are mentioned by name here - not even the one that Jesus loved. This is the Peter that said he would die for Jesus but ended up denying he even knew Him. That denial made Peter remorseful - he wept bitterly. How he must have felt total rejection - failure - outcast.
But Jesus mentions him by name as one that needs to hear the news. Jesus brings him back into His good graces. This is acceptance - this is forgiveness.
Can I hear Jesus call me by name and encourage me back into His forgiving arms?

Be Strong and Courageous,

L.T.

No comments: