Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Who is Jesus? #53 (Forgiver Cont.)

Are there conditions for receiving the forgiveness of Jesus? Does He just offer it to everyone? Is it free of charge? Are there those who are disqualified from receiving it?
There was the man who was forgiven a huge debt and, in turn, refused to forgive his debtor a minimal debt, (Matthew 18:23-35). It would be like the bank writing off a $1,000,000 debt that I owed and then I turn around and refuse to forgive someone who owed me lunch money.
There must be something being taught here for me. Is my ability to receive forgiveness based on my willingness to forgive others?
If I do not forgive, I am losing something very important. Maybe it is the thought that if I am not a forgiver, I cannot fully understand and appreciate being forgiven.
Jesus concluded this story by saying, "this is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart," (Matt. 18:35).
I don't want to be treated this way. I don't want forgiveness withdrawn! I need it and I need it desperately!.
Father, forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us!

Be Strong and Courageous,

L.T.