Friday, May 18, 2007

Who is Jesus #111 (From the Apocalypse)


"...and out of His mouth came a sharp double-edged sword." (Revelation 1:16b)
I am not sure which of the features of Jesus scared John the most; but for me, I think it would have been this one. The picture of a person with a sword protruding out of his mouth is quite alarming.
The picture is reproduced for us in 19:15. "Out of His mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations."
During His ministry, what came out of the mouth of Jesus was the word of His Father. "The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing His work." (John 14:10)
We know that what Jesus said pierced some and divided others. He brought down the Scribes and Pharisees with His words to the point that they would not ask Him any more questions.
The message John is writing down for our first century brothers and sisters, and us, is that the words of Jesus have not become impotent. They are just as powerful now as they were then. They are just as sharp.
More on this idea.
Keep speaking to us, Lord. Say what we need to hear no matter what.

Blessings,

L.T.

1 comment:

Liz Moore said...

I have been so out of pocket the last 4 weeks I haven't done any blog reading. I'm trying to get somewhat caught up. I always enjoy reading your thoughts. As I read the thought "what Jesus said pierced some and divided other" I was thinking, things are still the same today. And then I read on..Obviously great minds think alike :) Just kidding! But I do agree with you!

By the way, I noticed the picture of TY while I was scrolling through. How precious he is! Congratulations to you and Aleta and the rest of the family!