Thursday, April 17, 2008

MDA Lock-up

Well that was an interesting and not so terrifying experience. I had been "tagged" to raise $1,000 for MDA or be thrown in the MDA jail until I did. Of course I tried to raise the money before jail day, but was unable even though I made several appeals to family and friends.
However, the experience convinced me that I would like to do it again next year. I think I can do better.
My connection with MDA, or at least this lock-up, was quite by accident and random because someone submitted my name to be locked up.
However, I have another connection that goes back to my dad. He suffered from what is commonly known as Lou Gehrig disease or you will see it abbreviated ALS. This is one of the diseases that MDA furnishes research funds for.
There is no cure but they have been able to sustain patients' lives and quality of life for longer than was available when my dad had the disease.
I don't know the technical explanation, but ALS moves up the spinal cord and destroys muscles until finally the patient succumbs. For my dad it was about a year from diagnosis until his death in 1961.
At one time in my life I thought I wanted to be a doctor and somehow do something about this debilitating condition.
For now, I will try to raise money every year for MDA.

No comments: