Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Who is Jesus? #88 (From the Apocalypse)

"But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God," (Hebrews 10:12).
No former high priest could even come close to making this claim. The Hebrews writer in the previous verse makes reference to the fact that those priests had to offer sacrifices in behalf of the people, continually. "They can never take away sin."
What greater power could there be than a "once for all" sacrifice? And, no priest had ever offered himself as the sacrifice! What a High Priest!
I can imagine the conversation occurring in heaven.
God: I have to make these people righteous by taking away their sins.
Jesus: That will require a sacrifice, Father.
God: I know and I need someone to go to them and make them aware of their need for a sacrifice for sin.
Jesus: I will go, Father.
God: Which of these functions will you perform?
Jesus: I will do them both. I will lay down my life for their sins and intercede for them before you.
God: You will be both the priest and the sacrifice.
Jesus: Yes, if that's what it takes.

We know the rest of that story; or, do we?

Be Strong and Courageous,

L.T.

No comments: