Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Who is Jesus? #86 (From the Apocalypse)

The priest was one who went to God in behalf of the people. They, the people, brought the priest their sacrifices and offerings and he, in turn, presented them to God, according to the law, in behalf of the people.
The priest was a real stand-in or go-between as the people went through him to the Father. John saw Jesus in priestly garments (Revelation 1:13) and mentioned that first in his wonderful description of Jesus.
One who goes to God in behalf of His people... that is a very accurate description of the ministry and purpose of Jesus Christ.
I remember on a couple of occasions Jesus going to God in behalf of a lot of hungry people. I remember Him going to God in behalf of those twelve disciples who would receive kingdom responsibilities when He was no longer with them(John 17). I remember Him going to God in behalf of the very ones who put Him on that cross, "Father, forgive them..."(Luke 23:345).
Now it appears to be His fulltime job (Hebrews 7:25).
I need Jesus to go to the Father in my behalf. Yes, I have access to the Father myself because of what Jesus did on that cross, but I feel at time unworthy to approach the Father because of my sin and frailties. How wonderful to know that Jesus is going to Him for me...saying what I cannot say...expressing my soul's longings that I cannot put into words.
If I confess Him before man, he confessed me before the Father(Matthew 10:32). That is hard to even think about...my name be dropped in front of the Creator of the Universe. I am glad that Jesus is in such a priestly position to be able to do that.
I need Him to keep going to God in my behalf.

Be Strong and Courageous,

L.T.

No comments: