Monday, November 14, 2005

Who is Jesus? #82 (From the Apocalypse)

"I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned around, I saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands was someone 'like a son of man'" (Rev. 1:12-13).

The "ever-presence" of Jesus - that is what is pictured for the reader here. In order to get a grasp of what is going on here, we must understand the "lampstands." Revelation 1:20 says, "... and the seven lampstands are the seven churches." Lampstands represent churches - in particular the seven churches of Asia (Revelation 1: 11) whose individual letters are recorded for us in the second and third chapters of Revelation.
Lampstands were used to support oil burning lamps. Jesus mentioned this in the Sermon on the Mount. "neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on a stand and it gives light to everyone in the house," (Matthew 5:15).
It is important that we see Jesus in and among these lampstands (churches). The Christians of this day, when John was seeing the apocalypse, were undergoing all kinds of persecution because of their belief in and obedience to God. Jesus had not distanced himself from them, but was right there with them. He knew what they were going through. He was going through it with them. Their persecution was His persecution.
Remember when Jesus confronted Saul on the road to Damascus and asked, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? (Acts 9:4). Saul's persecution of the church was taken personally by Jesus.
No matter what I am going through, Jesus has not forsaken me. He is right here and right now. Satan would like me to believe that Jesus leaves me in my troubles and misery - but that is a Devil's lie.
John saw Jesus right where He needed to be - right in the middle of His people. That is exactly where I need Him.

Be Strong and Courageous,

L.T.

No comments: