Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Who is Jesus? #80 (From the Apocalypse)

John received in his vision recorded in the first chapter of Revelation, a picture of Jesus that is so powerful, so awesome and so frightening that he "fell down as though dead." This image of Christ is fresh on my mind, because we began a study of Revelation 4 weeks ago and just now made it through chapter one.
Everything, it appears, that we ever learned about Jesus from the rest of the New Testament is incorporated into this image that is in the middle of the seven golden lampstands. Here is what John saw as recorded in Revelation 1:12-18.

12. I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when
I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13. and among the lampstands
was someone "like a son of man," dressed in a robe reaching down to his
feet and with a golden sash around his chest. 14. His head and hair were
white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire.
15. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the
sound of rushing waters. 16. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of
his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining
in all its brilliance. 17. When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then
he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and
the Last. 18. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever
and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.
I have to dig into this passage and see what all of these symbols mean as they apply to my Lord and Savior. After reading this and meditating on it, why am I still sitting in this chair? Why have I not fallen on the floor of my office as if I were dead? Could it be I have never really died to self?
Be Strong and Courageous,
L.T.

No comments: