Saturday, December 22, 2012

#173


One Who Deserves More Than We Give

It’s a very old song (I Gave Me Life for Thee – Harvard and Bliss, 1858). Each of its four verses ends with a question, and the question is repeated. It’s like we really need to give this some serious time and consideration.

Verse one
“I gave, I gave my life for thee, what hast thou given for me?”
Verse Two
“I left, I left it all for thee, what hast thou left for me?”
Verse Three
“I’ve borne, I‘ve borne it all for thee, what hast thou born for me?”
Verse Four
“I bring, I bring rich gifts to thee, what hast thou brought for me?

I don’t think I need to rewrite these verses in modern English. I believe we get the point.

I played enough sports that I cannot even begin to count the times my coach said give it 110 %. I guess it is obvious to most of us that to exceed at anything we must push beyond the normal.

If you are that rich young ruler, don’t be satisfied with liquidating your holdings and giving to the poor. There was something else. Come follow Jesus (Matthew 19).

That woman caught in adultery was found without any accusers. But that wasn't the end. Stop sinning (John 8).

How much of us does Jesus deserve? Well, just how saved are you? Are you slightly saved? Are you saved just on Sunday? Are you saved as you dig in your pocket for the little bit you put into the plate. No such thing as being “sort of” saved.

                                            Hebrews 7:25
                    25 Therefore he is able to save completely  
                    those who come to God through him, because
                    he always lives to intercede for them.

We expect everything from Jesus while at the same time we expect Jesus to accept so little from us. We offer to him the leftovers, few leftovers at that, and expect Him to be so joyful that He jumps head over heels.

He Gave His Life, He Left Heaven, He Endured Agony, He Brought Blessings. What have we given, left, endured, or brought for Him?


No comments: