Tuesday, December 18, 2012

#172

One Who Accepts Children
 (The Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting) 

On Friday, December 14, 2012, 26 innocent people living their daily Newtown, CN routine had their lives taken away from them by an individual ( I cannot and will not say his name – he deserves no notoriety for this senseless act of violence) who infiltrated their normalcy and blew it all to pieces. All lives lost in this incident represent a tragedy, individually and collectively. The slice of this tragedy that I want to make some effort to digest has to do with the children – and I’ll have to admit that digestion gets interrupted frequently by sickness in the pit of my stomach.

One thing that helps is remembering the title of my blog, “Who is Jesus?” If at all possible I want to go back to Jesus in this tragedy. In doing so, I remember what Jesus said at a time when some children were sensing and feeling their own disenfranchisement.

Of all people His very own disciples we the ones sweeping the children under the rug. They were the ones that were hindering the children from what was very likely the children’s parents plan for them that day – go see that man Jesus. In essence Jesus barks at His disciples, “Get back there. Do not interrupt their plan.” He says (Matthew 19:14)…

“Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”

"Do you not know, Peter, Andrew, James, John, etc, that only children come to me? The ones you are blocking are the very ones I want, and, by the way, take an example. This is the only way anyone will get to me – child likeness."

A chapter earlier these same disciples are arguing about who is greatest. Jesus again brings children to the forefront as He says (vs. 3)…

“I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Children and Heaven – now there is a connection. Jesus says it twice. His arms are wide open to children. The welcome mat is out for children. Don’t even ring the doorbell; the door is wide open!

There is unmistakable wailing on the part of parents who lost their children. You may be able to make sense of it, but I can’t. But what I do know is that these are the very ones that Jesus welcomes into heaven. Can’t you see it? The Son of God, while grieving and feeling for the parents, welcomes these 20 children into a place they will never have to leave. Can’t you just hear Him say, “Let these little children come to me. I've got you!"

No comments: