Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Who is Jesus? #154

Ten Things Jesus Knows About You

He Knows Where You Are

In the first chapter of John’s gospel we find Jesus gathering His first followers. In verse 42 Andrew brought his brother Simon to Jesus. Later, verse 47, Philip brings his somewhat skeptical brother, Nathanael, to Jesus. Jesus pegs Nathanael as a truthful guy and in response to Nathanael's question Jesus says, "I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you, (v. 48)." This convinces Nathanael of Jesus' identity.

Jesus knowledge of where Nathanael was is pretty powerful. The thought I am pondering today is what do we do with the thought that Jesus knows where we are? Jesus knew Nathanael's physical location, and He also knows ours. But does He not also know our spiritual location? Jesus knows where we are spiritually.

He saw where Nicodemus should have been, spiritually, and delivers a rather scathing jab when He says, "You are Israel's teacher, and do you not understand these things? (John 3: 10).” But He also knew where His disciples were spiritually. "Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time?" This was after Philip's request to see the Father.

Isn't it true that we are all on a spiritual journey that starts us out as babies? This is a good thing. We start out as babies and begin a life of growth in Him. Jesus knows where we are. So, when I read a verse like I Corinthians 10:13, "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it," I take it that in saying this God takes into count just where you and I are. An infant cannot withstand what an adult should be able to endure. He knows if we are babies. He knows if we are mature adults. He knows every stage in between. He also knows if we are experiencing a spiritually weak moment. We all do from time to time. The question regards overall growth.

How does He feel when He knows we are still babies and we should be grown up? The writer of Hebrews alludes to this, "In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again, (5:12)."

I think there is both comfort and concern in the reality that Jesus knows where we are along our spiritual journey. Could that be why Jesus taught in parables? (Matthew 13:13), " 'This is why I speak to them in parables: “Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.' " For some, their location along the spiritual road would not allow them to understand the truths that Jesus was sharing. For others, whose journey had taken them further down the road, they could absorb the point Jesus was making.

But then, is where I sit on my spiritual walk where I ought to be by now? I have been on this journey all my life. I have been a Christian for 48 years. Where would I find myself on the spiritual roadmap? Is Jesus going treat me as a baby though I should be well on the way to maturity? Or, because of my location, am I missing out on some of the joys and blessings Jesus has in store for those who have matured.

Jesus knows yours and my spiritual location. Is He happy with it? Are we?

No comments: