Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Who is Jesus? #152

Ten Things Jesus Knows About You

Your Faith

Among other things, Jesus says to the Church at Thyatira, "I know...your faith, (Revelation 2:19)." How could you know, Jesus - my faith, that is? There are times I am not sure myself just what kind of faith I have. I feel that there have been periods in my life where my faith has not been at its best. Even in those times when it has been at its best, I am not sure it was where it needed to be. I am not sure if it even measured up to a mustard seed, (Matthew 17:20).

It appears to me that the number one thing that seemed to displease Jesus the most was a display of faithlessness. It seems that most of this displeasure came from those who were closest to Him. "Where is your faith?" Those disciples in that boat needed to answer that question, (Matthew 8). Just exactly what was it that was drowning Peter? What it the water or his lack of faith, (Matthew 14)? Demons remained because of "little faith, (Matthew 17)." After Jesus death, the disciples had no faith in His return via resurrection, (Mark16).

On the other hand, Jesus seemed to be most pleased when strong faith was demonstrated. Bartimaeus' faith cured his blindness, (Mark 10). It appears that some displays of faith came from some surprising sources. A woman no longer bleeds because she knew all she had to do was touch Jesus, (Mark 5). The faith of four friends brings spiritual and physical healing, (Mark 2). A Canaanite woman, compared to a dog, has enough faith for herself and her demon-possessed daughter, (Matthew 15). A centurion had more faith than Jesus had seen manifested among all the Jews, (Matthew 8).

In both cases, whether it was a lack of faith or a great faith, demonstration was the key. Faith is not something you simply hold inside of you. Although it is influenced by the doctrines and principles that you believe, it is not simply a "set" of things you believe. It is not really something you hide to try to protect. Your faith is something you live out in your everyday life of service to Him. It is what makes you do what you do.

Your faith is what pleases God if it is of the stuff the goes beyond the ordinary, believing God exists, to the extraordinary, believing He rewards seekers for the their diligence, (Heb 11). It means that faith is something that comes alive in the lives of believers.

Could that be how he knows my faith? Oh yes, He can look into my heart and see that I have some level of belief. But, when I let my faith move me to action; seeking Him, serving others in His name, talking about Him to others, etc. That's how He knows. Look in the references above. A lack of faith resulted in inaction and failure. A strong faith resulted in action and success. When Jesus sees inaction, He sees little to no faith. When he observes spiritually diligent activity, He sees faith!

He knows our faith!

No comments: