Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Who is Jesus? #99 (From the Apocalypse)

White or whiteness tends to set things off - it distinguishes - especially from dark. I've been painting the exterior of my house lately and buying the paint all along as I need it rather than getting it all at the same time.
As you might imagine, one batch I bought didn't quite match what I had been using. I didn't notice it, wouldn't you know it, until I started painting with it. It was much whiter than what I had been using. It was obvious. I couldn't let it go. There was no way I could continue using that paint. The whiteness of it contrasted too much with the other paint I had been using. There would be no hiding it. Everyone would notice. It was a stark difference - the difference between light and dark - between white and black.
John saw, in his vision of the Christ, a stark and differentiating white. It was vivid. It was bright. It contrasted sharply with everything around it.
That's the way Jesus is. He shines brightly - especially into the darkness.
John said in his gospel - "The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it, (John 1:5). It is too different, too distinct. He so set apart from everything else.
"His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow...," (Revelation 1:14).

Lord, let your light shine and may I understand!

Be Strong and Courageous,

L.T.

1 comment:

Liz Moore said...

When Jesus is present, all darkness is exposed. Praise God!! May we all continue to walk in the light.