Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Who is Jesus? #90 (From the Apocalypse)

I have always been intrigued by the "cities of refuge." There were six of them: three on either side of the Jordan River. According to Joshua 20:3 they were built, "so that anyone who kills a person accidentally and unintentionally may flee there and find protection from the avenger of blood." That in itself is also intriguing.
A person guilty of manslaughter could run to one of these cities and if he got there before this "avenger" got to him, he would be protected. The only catch was that he had to stay there until the death of the High Priest.
What does this have to do with Jesus? Everything! Not only is He our High Priest, but he is also our city of refuge to save us from the bloodiest of avengers - Satan.
I need to understand that Satan has been after me from the beginning and he has not let up. He wants my heart, my soul, my mind and my strength. The vengeance he seeks will destroy me totally.
Somewhere along the way, I saw my city of refuge. When I gave my life to Him, I received relief from this terrible adversary.
Oh no, he has not given up, but I have a High Priest/city of refuge that I can take comfort in forever.
He is my refuge!

Be Strong and Courageous,

L.T.

No comments: