Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Who is Jesus? #161

Ten Things Jesus Knows About You

Your Potential

I know that in my life, and probably in the most lives, if someone believes I can do it, if they believe in me, I am either going to do it or give it my all trying to do it.

Many coaches try to encourage their teams by helping them to reach their potential. Unfortunately that potential may not be of the caliber to be a true champion because the team members may not have the talent or abilities though they may be playing up to their potential. 

Jesus took a few fisherman, a tax collector, a skin-flint, two sons of thunder, a doubter, and others and saw in them the potential for the beginning of His church community. What did He see in them that most of us would not have seen? What does He see in you and me?

I believe He sees in us....
     ...the potential for the advancement of the Kingdom.
     ...the potential for living life to the full.
     ...the potential for helping all the down and out people
         in the world.
     ...the potential for great spirituality.
     ...the potential for becoming more and more Christ-like.

The reason He knows that about us is because He has given us everything we need to reach that potential. Peter writes (II Peter. 1:3) that we have been given “everything we need for life and godliness.” Jesus came that we might have “life to the full.”  He has promised us everything that we might need (not want) in this life. We have assurance of eternity with Him. He has put a little of Himself in us (Genesis 1).  He has put His Spirit in us to prompt, lead, encourage, and correct us. He has given us all talents and abilities that we can use for His cause. It seems that everything is in place.

Are we reaching the potential that Jesus sees in us? I know how I feel if my children do not live up to their potential. I wonder how our Father feels when we do not live up to ours.

I can hear Him now shouting at the top of His lungs, “I believe in you, I believe in you!” He knows our potential. I wonder if we do.


No comments: