Friday, January 28, 2005

Who is Jesus? #3 (Immanuel)

".. and they will call Him Immanuel - which means, 'God with us.' (Matthew 1: 23)." Surely our Heavenly Father knew who Jesus was. The name He gave Jesus through the pronouncement of this angel was Immanuel which means God with us. Jesus was/is God among His people.
Had God not been among His people before? We can think of many times in the Old Testament when the presence of God brought fear and trembling into the heart of the people. His presence was positioned on the mercy seat atop the Ark of the Covenant.
This "God with us" presence was different. There was a very special purpose for this presence and because of that purpose we see God crying, God walking, God laughing, God purging, God teaching, God praying and God dying.
Jesus is first introduced to us as "God with us." What does that mean to you? Don't you feel God reaching out to you saying, "I don't want to be distant and removed from you. Why do you want to be distant and removed from me?" "I gave you my presence in my son. Now, how about giving me your presence?"

Be Strong and Courageous,

L.T.

No comments: